The Sales Law Review Group is an expert group, tasked with reviewing the legislation governing the sale of goods and supply of services.
This legislation provides the statutory framework for the regulation of business-to-consumer and business-to-business contracts and is a cornerstone of both Irish consumer and commercial law. The statutes under review included the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.
Terms of Reference of the SLRG
The terms of reference of the Sales Law Review Group were:
- To review the general sales law provisions of the Sale of Goods Acts 1893 and 1980 and to make recommendations for a scheme of legislation capable of providing a statutory sales law framework appropriate to modern-day conditions and needs.
- To examine the provisions of the proposed EU Directive on consumer contractual rights in the light of existing Irish consumer law and assess its implications for Irish consumer rights and law, to contribute to the development of the Irish response to the proposed Directive, and to consider and make recommendations as to how the Directive and Irish contract sales law may best be integrated.
- To consider and make recommendations on other matters related to Irish sales law and the common law and statutory framework of that law, including dispute resolution mechanisms in Ireland.
Membership of the SLRG
- Robert Clark, Chair, associate professor, School of Law, University College Dublin, author of Contract Law in Ireland. Professor Clark has served on a number of Irish Government and European Commission Advisory Bodies.
- Tony Burke, nominee of the Irish Exporters' Association, Head of Commercial Department Mason, Hayes and Curran Solicitors.
- Caterina Gardiner LL.B (Dub.), LL.M (NUI), lecturer in law NUI Galway.
- Michael Kilcoyne, nominee and Vice-Chairman of the Consumers' Association of Ireland.
- Roderick Maguire LL.B., LL.M. (Lond.), M.A., B.L., nominee and Honorary Secretary of the Bar Council of Ireland.
- Sean Murphy, Legal Adviser to, and nominee of, the National Consumer Agency.
- Richard Nesbitt S.C., Chairman of Arnotts Limited, nominee of IBEC.
- Kevin O'Higgins, Solicitor, nominee of the Incorporated Law Society.
- Nathan Reilly LL.B (Dub.), LL.M. (Cantab.), Barrister.
- Fidelma White, B.C.L., LL.B., LL.M (NUI), LL.M (Lond.), Senior Lecturer in Law University College Cork.
Report on the Legislation Governing the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services
The final Report on the Legislation Governing the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services of the Sales Law Review Group was published on the 18th October 2011.