30th January 2023
- 21 leading Irish companies in the MedTech and wider healthcare sectors will be present at Arab Health, the leading medical industry exhibition in the Middle East
- Landmark Strategic Partnership Between American Hospital Dubai and Enterprise Ireland to boost Healthcare innovation in the UAE
Signalling the importance of Arab Health to Irish companies in the Medtech, healthcare, and life sciences sectors, Minister of State for Trade Promotion and Digital Transformation, Dara Calleary TD will lead a trade mission to Arab Health Dubai from 29 January to 2 February. 21 Irish companies, supported by Enterprise Ireland will be exhibiting at this important healthcare event.
Commenting on Ireland’s participation at Arab Health, Ireland’s Minister of State for Trade Promotion and Digital Transformation, Dara Calleary TD, said
“I am delighted to visit Dubai to meet our long-standing partners as well as have the opportunity to engage with new ones in the healthcare sector. With Ireland’s strength and expertise in developing world leading innovation, Irish companies are well positioned to provide solutions that healthcare providers need in the region. Globally, the Irish Medtech industry exports to over 100 countries every year, worth over €13bn, making Ireland the second-largest exporter of Medtech products in Europe.”
“Dubai and the wider region is a key market for Irish companies to bring their innovation across a range of sectors, and this is evidenced by the year on year growth in exports. In 2021, we saw a 7% percent rise in Enterprise Ireland supported exports to the Middle East to €131.9m, all of which was brilliantly supported by our network of Enterprise Ireland market advisors based right across this region.”
Minister Calleary welcomed a series of key announcements and partnerships taking place this week by several of the Enterprise Ireland supported companies participating at Arab Health including a new major strategic partnership between the UAE’s leading healthcare provider,American Hospital Dubai and Enterprise Ireland, the Irish Government agency for innovation and trade, that will pave the way for increased access to world leading healthcare innovation from Ireland.
At American Hospital Dubai, Minister Calleary, witnessed the signing of the partnership by Sherif Beshara, Group Chief Executive Officer at American Hospital and Jennifer Melia, Executive Director of Enterprise Ireland.
This partnership will provide gateway opportunities for Irish companies, entrepreneurs, researchers, clinicians, and industry partners to collaborate with the American Hospital Dubai to solve health challenges and increase access to cutting edge healthcare innovation.
Focused on advancing health and life science through commercialisation, innovation and research, the partnership is designed to bolster collaboration and improvement of patient health and care experience through innovative medical devices, digital health solutions, and therapeutics. Research collaboration will focus on identifying opportunities for clinical research and clinical trial activities.
Welcoming the new strategic partnership, Minister Dara Calleary TD said
“Ireland is a leading developer and supplier of healthcare innovation and one of the world’s top five global medtech hubs, working with the healthcare community to help improve patient outcomes, and ultimately helping clinicians to save lives. Today’s landmark announcement by American Hospital Dubai and Enterprise Ireland will open the door to further healthcare innovation and even closer collaboration between Ireland and the UAE.
Sherif Beshara, CEO of American Hospital Dubai, welcoming the partnership, said
“It is a privilege to be the first private healthcare facility in the Middle East to join hands with Enterprise Ireland on this landmark partnership. As a healthcare leader, American Hospital Dubai has always invested in the power of partnerships for the greater good because we believe knowledge-sharing, education and capacity-building are the best tools to shape transformation. Our comprehensive collaboration with Enterprise Ireland will open new horizons in healthcare innovations, patient care and medical solutions, and we are excited to explore the opportunities together.”
Commenting on key announcements and partnerships taking place, Jennifer Melia, Executive Director Enterprise Ireland said
“Enterprise Ireland is delighted to secure this new strategic relationship with American Hospital. It further validates what Ireland has to offer in healthcare provision and medical technology worldwide and presents significant opportunities for innovative Irish companies to commercialise and co-develop new innovations within the UAE market. By working closely together, building trusted relationships and forming new ones, we hope to create more jobs and prosperity for both countries. There are many great examples of Irish healthcare companies, who are competing and winning against global competition, through innovation and this fact is acknowledged in the calibre of Irish companies attending Arab Health this week".
These announcements include:
- Akkure Genomicswill be attending Arab Health ahead of the launch of the world’s first AI-driven “Precision Clinical Trial Matcher” taking place in the coming months. The Akkure trial matcher will use artificial intelligence in order to precisely match patients to clinical trials all over the world based on the patient's genomic and medical information. Five years ago, less than one per cent of clinical trials used genetic data to determine eligibility for trial matching, today 10% of trials use genetic data, heralding in the era of precision medicine and in 10 years’ time nearly 100% of clinical trials will most likely be using genetic data for trial matching. Founder and CEO of Akkure Genomics, Prof. Dr. Oran Rigby, is a leading specialist in the use of robotics and technology in medicine. Based in Co. Dublin.
- ACETECH will be signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Saudi based SAHAB National Company in an agreement to extend ACETECH’s services further into Saudi Arabia.This will lead to the supply of Ambulance vehicle solutions to government bodies in the country providing the technology enabling EMS services throughout KSA to provide critical care to patients when needed. ACETCH is a global supplier of software and vehicle solutions for the emergency services market. It designs innovative cloud-based fleet performance software, specialist modules (for safety, eco-friendliness, and asset protection) and intelligent control systems for healthcare providers and government bodies. Based in Co. Offaly.
- Oriel Marine Extracts will be launching a unique range of liquid Magnesium, Minerals and Trace Element Health Supplementsextracted directly from EU protected deep sea waters off the coast of Ireland. Irish technology, globally patented, sustainable, organic, natural transforms these minerals to a the most bioavailable Free Ion form with up to 100% rapid absorption via Oral, Sublingual or Transdermal use. Six years of published science supported by Enterprise Ireland and EU funds with one of Irelands leading Universities, Dublin City University, brings liquid supplementation to the Middle East. Science outputs include cardiovascular, immune function, inflammatory response, genetic biomarkers, skin health, burn care, wound care, recovery, sleep, menopause and anxiety. Based in Co. Louth.
- Vitalograph is in a phase of rapid growth and expansion into the Middle East. For 2023, Vitalograph has completed the revamping of its entire range of respiratory diagnostic solutions and will be launching it all together for the first time at Arab Health. The range includes their exciting new Vitalo PFT series, which delivers versatile and accurate pulmonary testing solutions for use in secondary care. Based in Co. Clare.
- Enterprise Ireland backed, Fleming Medical continues to expand with the appointment of three new partners in the region expanding its market footprint into KSA, UAE and Iraq. Fleming Medical currently service over 1,800 retail stores in several GCC countries. Based in Co. Limerick.
- Leading digital Healthcare platform provider, myPatientSpace launches a Digital Patient Support Program in partnership with Manzil Healthcare Services. This program aims to offer comprehensive and branded solutions to support patients in their diabetes journey. Launched in UAE and Kuwait this program will connect diabetic patients, to physicians, and care coaches and allow educators to work with patients throughout the region, remotely. Based in Co. Dublin.
Notes to Editor
About Enterprise Ireland
Enterprise Ireland is the Irish Government's trade and innovation agency. We invest in the most innovative Irish companies through all stages of their growth and connect them to international customers across multiple industries. Our goal is to build successful, long-term business relationships between international companies and Irish partners. With 40 offices worldwide including the UAE (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) and Saudi Arabia (Riyadh), Enterprise Ireland's teams of industry experts consult with international businesses to understand and solve their business needs.
About American Hospital Dubai
A premier private healthcare provider in the Middle East, American Hospital was established in 1996 with the goal of delivering the most effective and advanced medical care to people across the full spectrum of health conditions, through diagnosis, treatment, and management. The 254-bed, acute care, general medical/surgical private hospital has state-of-the-art facilities and an experienced team of healthcare professionals specialized in more than 40 medical and surgical specialties assuring comprehensive care.
Other Enterprise Ireland client companies showcasing Ireland’s strength in the Medtech industry on the Ireland pavilion at Arab Health include:
- AmRay Group Ltd.: A global leader in providing radiation protection for the medical, healthcare and industrial sectors in global markets. AmRay Group offers best-in class protection solutions to diagnostic imaging professionals and the patients. Based in Co. Louth.
- CF Pharma Ireland Ltd.: Cf Pharma is an ISO 13485 and HACCP accredited company based in Ireland that manufactures a range of novel specific Health Food Supplements, Medical Device Formulations and Advanced Topical Dermatological Solutions for both the Human and Animal Healthcare. Based in Co. Kilkenny.
- Elave by The Gardiner Apothecary: Since 1934, since Joseph Gardiner founded the first family apothecary in Ireland, the Gardiner family have been creating skincare solutions, including Ovelle and Elave Sensitive Skincare brands, which combine their expertise in traditional formulations with the latest dermatological advances to provide expert, cruelty-free, sustainable, safe sensitive skincare. Based In Co. Louth.
- EnteraSense Limited: EnteraSense has designed and developed PillSense, a sensor-based capsule for diagnosing and monitoring Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeds, a potentially life-threatening abdominal emergency. Based in Co. Galway.
- Head Diagnostics: Head Diagnostics has developed an easy-to-use portable medical device to support the diagnosis and management of Parkinson’s Disease (PD) and other neurological disorders including stroke, multiple sclerosis, brainstem death and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Their technology provides a direct, quantitative and objective measure of brainstem function in just 3 seconds, capturing high-quality, enriched patient data to support early diagnosis, monitor treatment and improving clinical outcomes while lowering healthcare costs. Based in Co. Dublin.
- Medentech, part of the Kersia Group: A world leader in infection prevention solutions, Medentech is committed to driving a significant positive health impact globally by improving access to safe drinking water and reducing surface contamination by developing, manufacturing and marketing cost effective disinfection solutions. Based in Co. Wexford.
- Novaerus: For over a decade, Novaerus has been providing medical-grade solutions that address a global problem; unhealthy indoor air. Led by a dedicated and highly skilled team of scientists, the company took a fundamentally different approach to air dis-infection, which led to the transformational discovery of NanoStrike – the unique, patented technology at the core of all Novaerus portable air dis-infection devices today. Based in Co. Dublin.
- Trulife: Trulife is an internationally based and managed group engaged in the creation, development, manufacture and marketing of niche healthcare products. The Group activities encompass Orthopaedics, Prosthetics, Breast care, Seating Solutions and Pressure care positioners for use in the operating room. Based in Co. Dublin.
- Wellola: Built by clinicians for clinicians and working with leading healthcare organisations in public and private sector across the UK and EU, Wellola provides a highly modularised, highly interoperable patient communication platform, designed to complement existing systems in a given healthcare ecosystem. Based in Co. Dublin.
Back to Department News