What We Do

Trade Union matters

We process grants for Trade Union Merger/Transfer of Engagements and grant Trade Union Negotiation Licences.

Grants for Trade Union merger/transfer of engagements

The payment of grants to help unions defray certain additional costs (for example, administrative expenses and specified salary and pension costs) incurred resulting from a merger/transfer of engagements is provided for in the Trade Union Act 1975.

The grants are discretionary and applications made by unions are assessed on the basis of an administrative scheme of grants and are subject to the approval of the Minister for Finance. The following guidelines set out how to apply for a grant.

How to apply for a grant

Guidelines on applying for a grant to defray costs associated with Trade Union amalgamations/transfer of undertakings

Trade Union negotiation licences

The Trade Union Act 1941 requires that any body of persons, apart from an excepted body as defined in the Act, wishing to carry on negotiations on the fixing of wages or other conditions of employment, must hold a negotiation licence entitling them to do so. Where a trade union makes an application for a licence and meets all the requirements set down in the Act (minimum membership, High Court deposit, etc.), the Minister will issue a licence.

How to apply for a licence

Guidelines and form for a Negotiation Licence

Industrial disputes

Industrial disputes are monitored as to emerging trends and duration of disputes. Liaison is maintained with the Workplace Relations Commission and the Labour Court on these matters.