Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

What We Do

Non-EEA Nationals married to or in civil partnerships with EEA Nationals

If you are a non-EEA national married to, or in a civil partnership with, an EEA national and both you and your spouse or partner are residing in Ireland, you should contact the Department of Justice and Equality  in order to seek residency in the State on that basis. If you receive Stamp 4 immigration permission you will not require an employment permit to work in Ireland.

If you are a non-EEA national who is married to, or in a civil partnership with, an EEA national and you wish to work in Ireland but your spouse or partner will not be accompanying you in Ireland, you will require an employment permit. You will have to satisfy the normal eligibility criteria for the type of permit being applied for, however, a fee will not be payable in the case of such employment permit application. If you are resident in the State, you must also have an immigration status that allows you to apply for an employment permit from within the State.  You should contact the Department of Justice and Equality in relation to this.

To have the fee waived, the employment permit application must:

  • indicate where requested on the application form that no fee is due

  • include the following additional documentation:
    - Copy of the EEA spouse’s/civil partner’s passport pages showing photograph and personal details.
    - Copy of the marriage certificate/marriage license or civil partnership registration.

Does this policy apply to all civil partnerships?

This policy only applies to civil partnerships within the meaning of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010.

Further clarification on the meaning of civil partnerships for employment permit purposes is available on the following webpage: Definition of Civil Partnership for the purposes of Employment Permits.

Employment Permits Section
1 October 2014