As part of Ireland’s National Recovery and Resilience Plan, the Digital Transition Fund will drive transformative digitalisation of enterprise in Ireland, particularly amongst SMEs. The programme will help companies at all stages of their digitalisation journey.
Embracing digital technologies is crucial for our post pandemic economic recovery. A competitive, innovative and resilient enterprise base is essential to provide high-quality jobs and employment opportunities for people to live and prosper in all regions. Businesses can harness digital technologies in many ways – including to better understand their customers, reduce their costs and improve their products.
The Digital Transition Fund is delivered under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP), which has been developed by the government so that Ireland can access funding under the EU’s Recovery and Resilience Facility. Ireland is expected to receive more than €900 million in grants over the lifetime of the Facility.
The Recovery and Resilience Facility is the largest component of NextGenerationEU, the European Union’s response to the global pandemic. The aim is to help repair the immediate economic and social damage brought about by the pandemic and to prepare for a post-Covid Europe that is greener, more digital, more resilient and fit to face the future.
Reasons to digitalise
Digital technologies have the power to transform small businesses, opening up new opportunities that were previously only available to businesses of scale. The COVID-19 crisis has amplified the power of digital in building business resilience. Indeed, there is a substantial risk in companies not engaging with digital – the competitiveness and productivity gap between digitally-enabled firms and businesses with low levels of digital maturity must be addressed.
Digitalisation can deliver:
- reduced costs and increased productivity
- better products and services
- market expansion and diversification
- greater access to strategic resources
- greater access to innovation
- Online Platform Economy
- Climate Action: Digital technologies can support
Help is available for businesses
Through the Digital Transition Fund, we will increase digitalisation of all businesses across products, processes, supply chains and business models. This will bring about productivity gains, access to new markets, increased innovation and improved competitiveness.
The Funding will be used to help companies at all stages of their digital journey – from the early days of simply going online to digitalisation of products and business processes, to facilitating exporting and to using digital technologies to develop new markets and business models.
Full details of the Digital Transition Fund are available on Digital Transition Fund / Ciste Trasdula Digiteach - Enterprise Ireland.
Please note, under the eligibility criteria of the Fund, selected projects must comply with the ‘Do no significant harm’ Technical Guidance (2021/C58/01).
- the Fund will not be used to provide supports that lead to significant greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- the Fund will not be used to provide supports that will negatively impact on people, nature or assets
- the Fund will not be used to provide supports that will negatively impact on the sustainable use and protection of marine resources
- the Fund will not be used to support investments that will lead to significant inefficiencies in the use of materials or natural resources and the Programme will not lead to increased use of waste or inefficient use of waste
- the Fund will not be used to support investments that will lead to increased pollution in air, water, or land