29th July 2015
August 16-19, Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York
23 of Ireland’s leading designers and craftspeople will be exhibiting at NY NOW in New York this August, in celebration of Irish Design 2015 (ID2015), a year-long initiative backed by the Irish government promoting and celebrating Irish design.
NY NOW attracts over 25,000 retail buyers from all over the US each year. The trade fair will be a valuable opportunity for the Irish designers to develop relationships with leading US stores.
Minister for Business and Employment, Ged Nash TD said: “Enterprise Ireland and the Design and Crafts Council of Ireland have collaborated on mentoring and supporting a group of 23 of their clients to participate in NY NOW as part of ID2015. This government-backed initiative is about harnessing Irish creativity and promoting it to the world, providing a platform for showcasing the skills and talents of Irish designers, craftspeople and manufacturers who are gaining a reputation world-wide for their individuality, quality and creativity. Presenting Irish work at international events such as NY NOW will be instrumental in growing Ireland’s reputation abroad as a home for innovative design across a broad range of disciplines. This renowned trade show will be an excellent introduction to key international contacts for the participating designers, generating new market penetration and export opportunities. We look forward to seeing commercial opportunities continue to unfold over the coming months and into the future.”
The 23 Irish companies will be placed throughout the trade fair in several themed locations:
- Lobby: An exhibition called “Ireland – Design Island” (NC4) will be placed in the lobby at the entrance to the Home Hall to introduce show attendees to Irish design, giving a flavour of some of the exciting products to be discovered throughout the show.
- Accent on Design: “Ireland – Creative Island” (3871) will feature products from 15 designers / craftspeople selected by an independent jury.
- 7 individual stands spread across the show floor – featuring Chupi (8558), Hanna Hats (8556), TJH (8554), The Handmade Soap Company (8056), Avoca (2062), Belleek/Galway Crystal (3456) and Inis the Energy of the Sea (7952).
Ireland’s presence at NY NOW is a collaboration between Enterprise Ireland and DCCoI as part of Irish Design 2015. According to Hannah Webb, Vice President of Consumer Goods & Retail Technology, Enterprise Ireland: "NY NOW is a valuable route to the US market for Irish companies in the design and craft sectors, who have the ambition and capability to export. The international interest in Irish products is testament to the quality and strong design offer that Irish companies have for international buyers. We look forward to working with the exhibitors in supporting them as they develop their export capability in this extremely competitive market.”
Brian McGee, Acting Chief Executive of the Design & Crafts of Ireland added: “Consumers throughout the world have become more interested in learning where products come from and how they are made, actively seeking out brands that possess provenance and authenticity. They want to hear the story behind the brand, the designer’s inspiration and the place that they are from. The Ireland stand in Accent on Design presents designers who collectively demonstrate a new modern aesthetic built on contemporary design, respect for materials, superb craftsmanship and a rich brand narrative. We recognise the strong export potential to the USA from these exciting creative companies.”
For further information and high res images, please contact:
Cristina Belmonte | Sandford PR | firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
About Enterprise Ireland
Enterprise Ireland (EI) is the government organisation responsible for the development and growth of Irish enterprises in world markets. We work in partnership with Irish enterprises to help them start, grow, innovate and win export sales in global markets. In this way, we support sustainable economic growth, regional development and secure employment. www.enterprise-ireland.com
About the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland
The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI), which is headquartered in Kilkenny, is the main champion of the craft and design industry in Ireland, fostering its growth and commercial strength, communicating its unique identity and stimulating quality design, innovation and competitiveness. DCCoI’s activities are funded by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation via Enterprise Ireland. DCCoI currently has over 70 member organisations and over 3,000 registered clients. www.dccoi.ie
About Irish Design 2015
Through a year-long programme of events and activities exploring, promoting and celebrating Irish design both in Ireland and internationally, Irish Design 2015 (ID2015) aims to showcase the very best of Irish design in order to drive job creation, grow exports and increase competitiveness. ID2015 is an island of Ireland initiative engaging the public, the design community and businesses, promoting Irish design in just about every form at home through events and exhibitions while also targeting the export market through trade missions and events in international capitals of design and commerce. ID2015 is being convened by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI), in collaboration with partner organisations, on behalf of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Enterprise Ireland. Irish Design 2015 partners include Founding Partners - MCO Projects; Accommodation Partners - The Doyle Collection; Venue Partners - OPW; Exhibition Partners – DAA; Technology Partners – IBM; Transport Partners – Bus Éireann Expressway and Broadcast Partners - RTÉ. www.irishdesign2015.ie
Individual Exhibitors at NY NOW 2015
- Hanna Hats (8556)
- Media Contact: Eleanor Hanna
- Website: www.hannahats.com
- About: Founded in 1924, Hanna Hats of Donegal continue to create timeless tweed caps from the finest of Donegal Tweed. Every hat is assembled by hand at the factory in Donegal Town using locally woven tweeds including herringbone, hounds tooth, checks, plaids and salt-and-pepper weaves; all key elements in the signature patchwork caps, hats and bags.
- TJH (8554)
- Media Contact: Vicki Pillow
- Website: www.tjh.ie
- About: As TJH Ltd have an exclusive license, the HOUSE OF LOR brand is the only range of jewellery to incorporate 100% authenticated rare Irish gold. It is ethically sourced and responsibly mined and is kept completely separate from world gold throughout all stages of production. Each piece of jewellery is manufactured in Ireland. Following on from our initial launch success in Ireland and the UK, we are now launching the HOUSE OF LOR collection at NY NOW 2015.
- The Handmade Soap Company (8056)
- Media Contact: Donagh Quigley
- Website: www.thehandmadesoapcompany.com
- About: The Handmade Soap Company was founded in 2010 by Donagh Quigley and Gemma McGowan. Things have changed since the days in their cottage kitchen, ladling the ingredients themselves, until the early hours of the mornings. The Handmade Soap Company products can be found anywhere from Blarney Castle to Brazil.
While on a road trip in Australia in January 2009 they visited a market in the rainforest in the Atherton Highlands and discovered a vibrant cottage industry in the making and selling of handmade soaps, something that at that time was rarely to be seen at home in Ireland. Donagh had always suffered with mild psoriasis and had never found any kind of soap or cleanser that suited his skin.....until that moment! Eureka! Surely there must be tons of people with the same problems at home in Ireland. And so the idea for The Handmade Soap Company was born.
It was non-stop from that point. Days were spent filling large orders with endless nights filling and labelling bubble bath, making and cutting soap, gluing soap wrappers and all from their kitchen at home. They realised it was time to move out of the house and into a refurbished factory, and the rest was history.
- Chupi (8558)
- Media Contact: Dorothy Murphy
- Website: www.chupi.ie
- About: Chupi is a multi-award winning jewellery brand founded in 2012 by former Topshop designer Chupi Sweetman-Durney. Irresistibly drawn to “wild and natural things” Chupi’s signature aesthetic is casting from real feathers and leaves, creating a delicate fine jewellery collection made for your inner magpie. Positioned in the affordable luxury market and export driven with fans around the world from Tokyo to London, everything is designed, manufactured and finished in Ireland.
People say you can’t sell jewellery online, we do. Chupi is boutique but the web is huge and we work with some cutting edge retailers in the UK & US. We take gorgeous pictures, tell beautiful stories and as a result export of over 27% what we make around the world to 61 countries. Yesterday we shipped Chupi to Peru, France and Japan. We have huge plans for 2015 and will be showing at London Fashion week & in New York, our future is looking really exciting.
- Avoca (2062)
- Media Contact: Judy Taylor
- Website: www.avoca.com
- About: Avoca is Ireland’s premier home and fashion brand. Established in 1723, Avoca is family- owned and remains one of the world’s oldest manufacturers. This rich history shapes everything they do today. The company still handweaves at the original Mill in Avoca Village, County Wicklow in Ireland. Avoca rugs, throws and scarves are woven with natural fibers using 100% pure new wool, mohair, cotton and linen to keep people looking smart, staying cozy and expressing their individuality. With a mission to create joy and have fun while doing it, Avoca creates signature pieces that utilizes gorgeous color and brings forth a signature style.
- Inis the Energy of the Sea by Fragrances of Ireland (7952)
- Media Contact: Karen Wilkinson
- Website: www.fragrancesofireland.com
- About: A sparkling, clean unisex scent that captures the coolness, clarity and purity of the ocean, Inis the Energy of the Sea is a favorite around the world. Inis is the Irish word for island, and the fragrance was inspired by the beauty and energy of Roundstone Beach on Ireland’s west coast. A truly unique, discovery brand, Inis makes you feel close to the sea - no matter where you are.
For over thirty years, Fragrances of Ireland has been creating perfumes and toiletries inspired by the magic, beauty and nature of Ireland. Independent and passionate, they operate from a converted farmhouse in County Wicklow. Their signature collection – Inis the Energy of the Sea – is a best-selling boutique brand in independent retailers throughout the United States. The iconic design of the fragrance bottle represents the best of Irish design; a simple frosted flagon that lets the purity of the liquid shine through has been paired with specially commissioned cap that is based on two pebbles that were found on Roundstone beach.
- Belleek/Galway Crystal (3456)
- Media Contact: Emma Herron
- Website: www.belleek.com
- About: Belleek Pottery, founded in 1857, located in County Fermanagh Ireland. Our translucent ivory porcelain includes giftware, dinnerware, and decorative items for the home. Belleek is hand-crafted by artisans much the same today as it was in the 19th century. Each piece passes 16 craftspeople ensuring our tradition of quality and perfection and that each item is worthy of bearing the famous Belleek mark found on the base.
Galway Crystal has long been one of the world’s best known and loved brands of traditionally craft crystal with beautiful ranges of tabletop stemware and giftware of the finest quality and clarity. Galway Crystal perfectly balances value and excellence, with both traditional and contemporary designs. Galway Crystal is the perfect choice to decorate your home or to proudly present as a gift for the most importing occasions.
Back to Department News