4th May 2023 |
The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment is seeking the views of stakeholders and interested parties on the proposed Net-Zero Industry Act.
On 16 March 2023, the European Commission published the Proposal for a Regulation on establishing a framework of measures for strengthening Europe’s net-zero technology products manufacturing ecosystem, otherwise known as the Net-Zero Industry Act (NZIA).
The proposed draft Net-Zero Industry Act (NZIA) aims to create a regulatory environment that will provide a framework for net-zero technologies and is designed to support the scaling up of the EU's net-zero manufacturing capacities and products, helping to meet Europe's climate neutrality goals, create green jobs and maintain the EU’s competitiveness. The objective of the NZIA is to approach or reach, in aggregate, at least 40% of the annual deployment needs for strategic net-zero technologies manufactured in the EU by 2030.
The draft NZIA supports, eight strategic net-zero technologies that are commercially available or soon to enter the market and have significant potential for rapid scale-up to contribute to the EU’s decarbonisation targets:
- Solar photovoltaic and solar thermal technologies
- Onshore wind and offshore renewable technologies
- Batteries / storage technologies
- Heat pumps and geothermal energy technologies
- Electrolysers and fuel cells
- Sustainable biogas/biomethane technologies
- Carbon capture and storage (CCS) technologies
- Grid technologies
The proposed NZIA is built around seven pillars as follows:
- Pillar 1 - Setting enabling conditions
- Pillar 2 - Accelerating CO2 capture
- Pillar 3 - Facilitating access to markets
- Pillar 4 - Enhancing skills
- Pillar 5 - Fostering innovation
- Pillar 6 - A Net-Zero Europe Platform
- Pillar 7 - Building Industrial Partnerships
Stakeholder views are welcomed from interested parties, including manufacturing industry, the research community and beyond to end users. We ask that respondents structure their responses according to the seven pillars outlined above, responding to one or more of the pillars as appropriate.
Respondents are requested to make their submissions by email to email@example.com.
The closing date for receipt of submissions is noon on Tuesday, 23 May 2023.
The Business Environment