Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

What We Do

Immigration and Employment Permits

An employment permit is not permission to reside, but rather it is permission for a person who is not a national of Switzerland or an EEA state to be employed in Ireland. Employment permits operate in parallel with the State's immigration processes.

It is the policy that all new first time applicants for employment permits should normally make their application while resident outside the State.  Following a successful application for an employment permit, and if visa required, an applicant should apply to his/her local Irish Embassy/Consulate for an entry visa. An online visa application form may be found at www.inis.gov.ie. Contact details for Irish Embassies/Consulates and a list of visa required countries may be found on the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade at www.dfa.ie.

Any person wishing to enter the State, whether visa required or not, is subject to the usual immigration controls at the port of entry. You may be required to produce relevant immigration documents, including your employment permit, for inspection by an Immigration Officer when you are entering the State. Entry to the State is always at the discretion of the Immigration Officer.

In order to be lawfully resident in Ireland, it is a requirement that all non-EEA nationals in possession of an employment permit must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. It is in the best interest of employment permit holders to register as soon as possible following arrival. Delay in registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau could affect applications in the granting of long term residency and/or citizenship. Immigration permission to remain should, where applicable, be renewed at least one month before its expiry date, in order to avoid unlawful presence in the State.

Holders of a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA), as per the terms and conditions of their WHA, must leave the State on expiry of the WHA and cannot apply for an employment permit whilst in the State. The foreign national may consider submitting an application for an employment permit from outside the State, upon expiration or cancellation of their WHA, and on foot of an eligible job offer, which will be considered subject to the usual criteria applying under the Employment Permits Acts and Regulations.

Applications from non-EEA nationals already legally resident in the State

The Department of Justice and Equality has agreed to the removal of various restrictions to applicants from within the State. With effect from 10 April 2013, certain categories of non-EEA immigration permission holders, who have been offered employment in an eligible occupation will be allowed to apply for an Employment Permit, whilst already legally resident in the State. They must currently hold a valid Certificate of Registration (GNIB Card) and be, namely, holders of Stamps 1, 1A, 2, 2A and 3 immigration permissions.

In this instance, if an application for an Employment Permit is successful and on receipt of the employment permit, the persons concerned must register their change of status with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB). All applications for Employment Permits are subject to qualifying criteria.

Non-EEA nationals resident in Ireland must at all times have:

  • Current permission from the Immigration Authorities to be present in the State, and
  • An up to-date passport.

Employment Permits Section
 3 April